We realised after placing our characters onto our coloured textured backgrounds that they just didn't sit. So we decided to simplify the background further by removing details and making it grey scale, because this 90 second film relies so heavily on performance animation the characters have to be easily seen.
We then on the 29th of October had a pitch, this was when we would find out whether our film would be given the go ahead to proceed into production. The feedback we received was positive however it was suggested to us that the backgrounds could be simplified and abstracted even further and to take a look at the style of the United Productions of America for inspiration. So we did and this is the outcome.
Character re development
Now we had a background that we were all satisfied with, we had to think of a way to make sure the characters would sit nicely into their new environment. The way we did this was by outlining them with a darker shade of their body colour instead of black.
Once the line quality and colour was fixed the characters were then redesigned to fit in with the UPA style of backgrounds, this was done by creating a UPA mood board then re drawing the characters taking inspiration from the images collated.